Chlorine is a wonderful thing when it comes down to killing many of the common germs and bacteria found in water. Since most of the water you and I drink comes from local sources, they often times bring with them germs and bacteria (when untreated).
To prevent this, our sink water has a level of chlorine in it primarily for the anti-bacterial purpose. Yes, we know the smell and taste are a big downside from properly enjoying the tap water. But that is simply the sacrifice you have to make to not get severely sick from drinking it.
When it comes to taking a shower, the water comes directly from the same source our sink water does. Most of the time, it has the same level of chlorine and serves a similar purpose (to kill germs). The BIG downside to drenching your entire body in the chlorine water is it can remove the essential oils that keep your skin moisturized.
On top of that, some of the disinfectant byproducts such as trihalomethanes (THTs) have been linked to a slight risk of colon and rectal cancer. However, the risks are very low so there shouldn’t be too much worrying. The simple benefits of having disease free water greatly outweighs the downsides.
So, how would you like to have the benefits of having disease free water without drying out your skin. You can, with a shower head that has a built in filter.
Right below, we’ve listed the best filter shower heads along with our personal top 5 picks.
10 Best Filter Shower Heads On The Market With Reviews 2017
|Picture||Filter Shower Head||Filter Life||Rating||Cost|
|Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe||10,000 Gallons||4.1||$50-$55|
|Culligan WSH-C125||10,000 Gallons||4.4||$30-$33|
|Rainshow'r CQ-1000-MS||25,000 Gallons||4.5||$45-$50|
|Culligan RDSH-C115 RainDisc||10,000 Gallons||3.9||$35-$40|
|Jonathan Product Beauty||10,000 Gallons||4.2||$60-$65|
|Sprite All Brass High Output||10,000 - 15,000 Gallons||4.3||$60-$65|
|Culligan HSH-C135||10,000 Gallons||3.8||$45-$50|
|OPUS Aroma Sense AS-701||5,000-10,000 Gallons||4.6||$60-$65|
|T3 Source||10,000 Gallons||4.3||$125-$130|
|Rainshow'r CQ-1000-DS||10,000-15,000 Gallons||4.5||$45-$50|
What Exactly Is A Shower Head Filter?
You see, water filters can be attached one of two ways in most cases. It is either integrated into the shower head (built in) or, sits between the shower head and the shower arm attachments piece.
Both ways work great, the chlorine is removed from the water due to a chemical reaction that happens in the filter.
The two most common chemical reactions that act as water filters for chlorine are the following: KDF (Kinetic Degraduation Fluxion) with carbon or, the filter head will use vitamin C to neutralize chlorine.
– How the first one works is, the water passes through the KDF filter causing a positive and negative charge. As a result, the charges attract and trap the chlorine from the water giving you pure chlorine-free water.
– The second method is using Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), this acid neutralizes the chlorine on contact.
Main Advantages Of Using a Filtered Shower Head
After you begin taking a chlorine-free shower, some differences you’ll begin to notice immediately and some gradually. Here’s a few BIG advantages you’ll experience using a shower head with filter:
- Less skin irritation – it’s a proven fact, chlorine dries out both your skin and eyes. Especially for those who have certain conditions that make exposure to chlorine much worse (eczema). By removing chlorine from the equation, 99% of your irritation from taking a shower can be eliminated.
- The shower can become MUCH healthier – by eliminating the chlorine from the water, you’re no longer allowing your body to absorb all the nasty bi-products of chlorine. Believe it or not, even when you’re taking a hot steaming shower the chlorine can be inhaled also.
- Better looking hair and skin – when the alkaline chlorine comes in contact with the slightly acidic skin and hair, this causes for drying out of the skin and hair (a good cause of dandruff). When the chlorine is gone, there’s no battles between the two acids.
- No more “chlorine-y” smell – most of us have been taking showers with chlorine all our lives, by now we have gotten used to the feeling and smell. By taking a shower with no chlorine, one of the most immediate things you’ll notice is the chlorine aroma is GONE.
- Easily mountable – these things are no different than your ordinary wall mountable shower head. You’ll just need thread tape, and maybe an adjustable wrench to properly secure the device.
- Cost effective – with the filters installed, the water pressure tends to be lower, as a result savings you money.
How To Find The Best Filter Shower Head That Suits You?
Here’s the most important things to look for:
- Reputable brands win – make sure the brand you are looking at is reputable in the sense that they have been making shower related products (Speakman, Waterpik, Delta, Moen and other rain styled shower heads etc..). Make sure to also look at user reviews to guide the effectiveness or, ineffectiveness of the product.
- Available & cost effective cartridges – one thing you don’t want, is to purchase a filtered shower head and find out its almost impossible to find replacement cartridges. Find cartridges that are available on various venues and are cost effective to replace.
- Longer filter life = better – when searching for a filtered shower head, be sure to see the filter life claims the manufacturer has. Average life span of filters is typically around 6 months. You don’t want to have to change the filter every 2-3 weeks!
- Pick Either KDF or Vitamin C Based Filtration – these are the 2 most effective. Not to say there aren’t other methods out there, but to be safe and know for sure the effectiveness is solid… choose one or the other.
Top 5 Best Filter Shower Heads Reviewed
Right below, we’ve got a few filter shower reviews for you that highlight the 5 shower heads we pick from the list above. If you choose to go with with some other ones from the table above, you’re still making a good choice.
1. Culligan WSH-C125
Our #1 pick for filtered shower head is Culligans WSH-C125. Right away, this thing is the most cost efficient at around 30 dollars for the whole thing. You don’t have to use any tools to install it, just simply remove the old unit and screwing this one on instead (assuming your current fitments are US standard).
Filtering is easily done by the simply to replace cartridge which on average should last about 6 months of everyday use (or 10K gallons of water). The multiple rubber spray nozzles are simple to clean up, and you can choose from 5 spray pattern settings.
For a cost effective and well filtered product, this Culligan WSH-C125 as the best filter shower head to buy… for any bathroom!
2. Rainshow’r CQ-1000-MS
The CQ-1000-MS Shower Filter has the longest filter life span of any other shower head we have on the list. With the bigger filter base comes with greater and longer filtration. Instead of the 10,000 gallons of filtration, you can easily hit close to 25,000 gallons of water filtration before having to replace the cartridge (that’s 6-12 months of use).
This filter is a certified KDF filter, meaning that it will cleanse your tap water of chlorine using negative and positive charging. And it works darn well!
3. Sprite All-Brass High Output
What is extremely unique about this guy, is it’s not a shower head. Instead, it is an attachment to any US standard shower head. If you don’t want to remove your current unit but DO want to make filter out chlorine, this guy is for you.
What is great about the Sprite All Brass Chlorine Shower Filter, is you can use it for up to 6 months and then, simply flip the filter on to the other side and get 6 more additional months of use before you have to replace the cartridge completely.
It’s an excellent addition to any current shower head you have right now!
4. T3 Source
The priciest filtered shower head we have on our list, but it’s primarily due to the fact that it is made of stainless steel. This T3 Source Shower Head in particular has a filtering capacity of around 10,000 gallons (around 6 months).
Like the company states, it reduces hair frizz by 49%, increase body frizz by 22%. The shower head has an LED indicator which tells you exactly when it is time to replace the filter cartridge.
Additional goodies this thing comes with are 8 spray settings and anti-scaling silicone nozzles. One thing is for sure, if you want a quality built shower head then look no further!
5. Rainshow’r CQ-1000-DS
Very similar to the CQ-1000-MS filtering shower head, the CQ-1000-DS filters it’s water using the KDF system which works with negative and positive charging (trapping the chlorine at it’s source and from moving any further). You’ll be getting around 10,000 gallons of filtering before needing to change the filter, which equals to about 1/2 a year of taking nice chlorine-free showers. Similar to the Sprite shower filter, this guy is just a filter by its self attaching to any US standard fitments.
If you want to keep your current shower head, and not spend a ton of money on properly filtering your shower.. this CQ-1000-DS is for you!